Jackson Hospital works hard to follow guidelines developed by national experts based on sound research and evidence. Because each patient has their own health issues and most are quite complex, we work hard to address all those issues while following all the standard guidelines proven to produce the best results while not contributing to additional health problems.
Sometimes there are reasons why patients cannot receive certain treatments that are recommended (such as medication allergies or other clinical conditions). In these cases, we work hard to clearly document the reasons why the recommended treatments are not right for this individual patient.
Treatment recommendations for patients who have pneumonia include:
- Start the antibiotic within 6 hrs of arrival
- Use the right antibiotic medication
- Check blood cultures if admitted to SCU
- Advise smokers to stop using tobacco
- Give flu vaccine during flu season if 50 yrs
- Give pneumococcal vaccine if 65 yrs